Tuesday, January 25, 2011

silently screaming

A few months ago I saw an event posting on Facebook that the NOH8 campaign was coming to Chicago. I thought it could be a great way to be a part of something and to get a cool photo taken. When I was putting the photo in a frame last night I started thinking a bit deeper about it all and began to truly appreciate what this campaign was fighting for and how incredibly inspirational Adam Bouska, the photographer, activist and hero who started it all, really is. 

On November 4, 2008 Proposition 8 passed in California, amending the state Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. To most people it was an unfortunate blip in an otherwise pleasant news day but to hundreds of thousands of people all over the United States it was one more reminder that separate really don't mean equal. 

The NOH8 Campaign is a photographic silent protest created by celebrity photographer Adam Bouska (http://www.bouska.net) and partner Jeff Parshley in direct response to the passage of Proposition 8. The photos feature subjects with duct tape over their mouths symbolizing their voices being silenced by Prop 8 and similar legislation around the world, with "NOH8" painted on one cheek in protest.
Two years since its inception, the NOH8 Campaign has grown to over 8,000 faces and continues to grow at an exponential rate. The website which houses all of the photos as well as news, blogs and heartwarming stories of why individuals chose to pose is a tribute to the type of work which can be done when you use humans rather than hate to make a change. 













The photos aren't just gay men and women or even outspoken activists who spend their lives fighting for change and equality... they're couples, they're siblings, they're celebrities and news personalities, they're individuals...every day people who believe in good and in the fairness of having the right to live your live however you see fit. 

So looking back, why did I pose? I posed because I fell in love, and because I think others deserve the same chance. I posed because the idea of telling someone what they should eat for lunch let alone who they should marry seems utterly insane to me. I posed because it didn't hurt anyone. I posed because not posing seemed to make a bigger statement than posing. I posed because it was fun and a memory I'll be able to cherish forever. I posed because it felt right and when I took the train home, people saw my tattoo and started talking. I posed because everyone needs to start talking. 



There's something sweet about the idea that some day every one, regardless of who they love, or in what part of the world they choose to love them, will have the same ability to just go about their day without worry or fear of being prosecuted, tormented or bullied. It's a bold thought, but hopefully, if campaigns, programs and amazing people like this continue to stand up and force people to take notice equality will be the new black.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - hopefully the laws will gradually change across the country (eager to be at your wedding!)

    ReplyDelete