Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beauty and the Geek

I have yet to jump on the iPad bandwagon  but when I do, I plan to be fully prepared. In an organized environment we'd all like for  things to seamlessly work together and I think travel and accessories should be nothing less than equally compatible. With the ultimate level of luxe travel, in my humble opinion at least, being a complete set of matching luggage (fully monogrammed or not) the iPad is the next level of the extreme.

Enter the marriage of designer goods and Apple ingenuity. When LV first threw their hand into the technology wave, my friends joked that I'd rather have the case than the product it was intended to create a home for (jury is still out) but in doing a bit more research I found tons of examples where designer brands have entered the business of technology accessories, which begs the question what came first the brand or the bot?

Apple has created a new opportunity for fashion to take focus and for consumers to spend. The next must-have item now has must-have counterparts. Fashion is often a result of a trickle down effect. A season's newest colors often show up in paint samples, art and furniture swatches, while the style can often be influenced by political events, environmental research and population unrest. Fashion can take form and form can be a result of fashion.

While I doubt Apple engineers heed to the needs of the editors and designers who take refuge in Vogue for product inspiration, I don't doubt that the general consumer's desire to spend and to have a synergy between products both tech based and otherwise may have played a part.

Here's to always hoping the geek finds its beauty.

Yves St. Laurent

Burberry

Chanel

De Bruir

Salvatore Ferragamo

Gucci

Louis Vuitton

Oscar de la Renta

No comments:

Post a Comment